NTT Com to construct optical submarine cable connecting Japan, U.S. and Philippines with large capacity and low latency
NTT Com to construct optical submarine cable connecting Japan, U.S. and Philippines with large capacity and low latency 18 minutes ago | 99 Views To be compatible with 400Gbps optical wavelength division multiplex transmission system as the fastest submarine cable between Japan and U.S.
TOKYO--(Antara/BUSINESS WIRE)-- NTT Communications Corporation (NTT Com), the ICT solutions and international communications business within the NTT Group (TOKYO:9432), announced today that as part of a consortium comprising SoftBank, Facebook, Amazon, PLDT and PCCW Global, it signed an agreement on 27 October to participate in the construction and maintenance of the JUPITER large-capacity low-latency optical submarine cable between Asia and the United States.
The JUPITER cable system will have a total length of 14,000km connecting Japan, the U.S. and the Philippines, and an initial design capacity of 60Tbps. It will have two landing points in Japanâ"the Shima Landing Station in Mie Prefecture and the Maruyama Landing Station in Chiba Prefectureâ"as well as a U.S. landing station in Los Angeles, California and the Daet Cable Landing Station in the Philippines.
NTT Comâs Asia Submarine-cable Express (ASE), Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) and Pacific Crossing-1 (PC-1) cables will connect with JUPITER to provide a redundant three-route structure linking major cities in Asia, Japan and United States with a secure and reliable international network (Image 1).
JUPITER will feature a state-of-the-art submersible ROADM (reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer) employing WSS (wavelength selective switch) for a gridless and flexible bandwidth configuration. JUPITER is expected to launch in early 2020 with an initial design capacity of 60Tbps, which will b e expanded later to meet rising data demands and complement existing cable systems.
* 400Giga-bit-per-second (Gbps) WDM system will be the fastest between Japan and U.S.
JUPITER will be a 400Gbps wavelength-division multiplex (WDM) transmission system deploying the latest fiber and design technologies as the fastest cable between Japan and the United States. It will be capable of transmitting a six-hour high-definition video (about three movies) in one second.
* Latest technologies for fast, flexible remote route changing
JUPITER will deploy branching units working with WSS ROADM for fast and flexible remote switching of transmission routes. Transmission routes will be quickly switchable to ensure business continuity, including in the event of a natural disaster or other unexpected problem in coastal areas of Japan.
* High-security landing station on Boso Peninsula, Chiba Prefecture, Japan
NTT Com will build the new multilayer-security Minamiboso Landing Station in Minamiboso, Chiba Prefecture which will be an extension from the existing Maruyama Landing Station and serve as NTT Comâs JUPITER termination point. The other cable landing station which JUPITER system terminates are well secured as well. JUPITER will also use the existing Shima Landing Station in Shima, Mie Prefecture (Image 2). NTT Com will provide connection to other cable systems via the Minamiboso and Shima landing stations to maximize transmission route options to support global business expansion by customers.
In addition, NTT Com will connect the Minamiboso Landing Station with data centers in Tokyo and the Shima Landing Station with data centers in Osaka, via low-loss optic fiber to enlarge the transmission capacity within Japan. Also, NTT Com will directly maintain and operate its landing stations in Minamiboso, Shima and Los Angeles to maximize service quality between Japan and the United States.
To meet the growing demands for traffic, inclu ding internet, cloud services and coming 5G wireless communications, NTT Com is steadily expanding its cable capacity in Asia and the Trans-Pacific, including by connecting multiple cable systems to its own data centers and enhancing cable redundancy, to offer highly reliable global network services. At the same time, NTT Com will further support the business-expansion initiatives of customers by merging its data center, cloud and network services.
Overview of JUPITER Undersea Cable
* Total design capacity : 60 Tbps (initial)
* Total cable length : 14,000km
* Landing points : Japan (2 locations), U.S. and Philippines
* Consortium : NTT Com, SoftBank, PLDT, PCCW Global, Facebook and Amazon
* Operational launch : Early 2020
About NTT Communications Corporation
NTT Communications provides consultancy, architecture, security and cloud services to optimize the information and communications technology (IC T) environments of enterprises. These offerings are backed by the companyâs worldwide infrastructure, including the leading global tier-1 IP network, the Arcstar Universal Oneâ¢ VPN network reaching over 190 countries/regions, and over 140 secure data centers worldwide. NTT Communicationsâ solutions leverage the global resources of NTT Group companies including Dimension Data, NTT DOCOMO and NTT DATA.
www.ntt.com | Twitter@NTT Com | Facebook@NTT Com | LinkedIn@NTT Com
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171029005086/en/
Yoshio Sato (Mr.), Takahiko Shibata (Mr.), Miho Kanzaki (Ms.), +81 (0)3 6700 7549
Source: NTT Communications Corporation
- NTT Com to construct optical submarine cable connecting Japan, U.S. and Philippines with large capacity and low latency 18 minutes ago
- The Lo & Behold Group becomes first Asian company to commit to 100 percent cage-free egg supply chain 1 hour ago
- China Yiwu International Commodities Fair concludes with RMB 17.8 billion deals reached in 5 days 2 hours ago
- Oil and gas industry leaders invest in Solidia Technologiesâ sustainable cement and concrete innovations 4 hours ago
- Shiseido announces agreement to sell Zotos to Henkel 27th October 2017
- Tata Starbucks reaffirms growth in India with entry into Kolkata in 2018 and commitment to social impact programs 26th October 2017
- Pertamina EP commited to securing Indonesia's energy demand 24th October 2017
- OVO to accelerate success of Lippo Group's diverse businesses throug h Deep Business Analytics using Kinetica and NVIDIA technology 24th October 2017