Volcanic activity of Mount Agung in Bali increasing
Volcanic activity of Mount Agung in Bali increasing 22 minutes ago | 172 Views Observation of Mount Agung activity in Rendang Village, Karangasem, Bali, Friday (15/9/2017). (ANTARA FOTO/Nyoman Budhiana) Amlapura, Bali (ANTARA News) - Volcanic tremor activity of Mount Agung in the district of Karangasem, Bali, has been on the increase since early this month.
"Actually volcanic tremors have already happened since in the middle of August, 2017 but they then vanished before emerging again and since early in September it has continued to increase," head of volcanic mitigation of the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center of the Geological Agency of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Gede Suantika, said here on Sunday.
He explained on Friday (Sept 15) tremor activities of the mountain reached 27 times and increased to 73 on Saturday.
From 00.00 to 12.00 hours on Sunday the number of volcanic tremors was recorded reaching 50 times.
The mountain is still under alert status and people are appealed to not conduct activities within a radius of three kilometers, he said.
He said his office would keep monitoring the a tivity and studying data available to update information to the public.
He sad he had also informed Karangasem district head I Gusti Ayu Mas Sumantri and other officials concerned to inform the public to remain calm and alert with regard to the mountain's activity.
Head of the regional disaster mitigation office, Dewa Indra, has also called on the people not to be worried and follow givernment instr uction. "They must follow information from official sources so that they will not be misled," he said.
He said if the mountain's activity continued to rise the public will be informed and so they would have time to pack up and evacuate.
Record since 1800 said that Mount Agung had have mega eruptions four times, which were in 1908, 1823, 1843, and 1963.
- Volcanic activity of Mount Agung in Bali increasing 22 minutes ago
- Indonesia prepares to become guest country of Europalia 2017 16th September 2017
- C Java enters drought emergency: governor 16th September 2017
- Jakarta Airport train to operate in November 16th September 2017
- Golkar Party politician rehabilitated for consuming meth 15th September 2017
- President attends Indonesian Godly Kids Festival in Banjarmasin 15th September 2017
- Hotspots detected across Suma tra Island 14th September 2017
- Man sentenced to death over shipment of 270 kilograms of methamphetamine 14th September 2017